Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rainbow Cake, Terrariums, Poufs & others

Since winter quarter came to an end I've been busy with many crafty things. Andy and I did a bit of spring cleaning today, but it's far from finished. All of the miscellaneous things we didn't know what to do with are still hanging out on our living room floor... and the hallway... and of course in the undetermined-use closet.

First Thing: Rainbow Cake
Jackie came over before she headed home for break, and we made a rainbow cake, like I discussed in a previous post. Andy and I have decided that we want our wedding cake to be exactly like this cake, but we're still debating on whether or not it needs to also have the rainbow chip frosting. Either way, our wedding cake is going to be quite colorful!

The bowls almost matched each of the colors of cake
Jackie pouring the yellow...

Me pouring the blue...

Jackie with one of the pre-baked cakes!

Finished cake! Complete with rainbow chip frosting (which is also my favorite!).

Second Thing: Terrariums
Since I saw the article on Craft Make I knew I had to try my hand at this terrarium thing. So I bought my cupcake toppers from BakeItPretty and set to work. I bought one little glass container many months ago at one of our favorite thrift stores, Deserete Industries on Aurora. It came with this ugly candle and fake vine:


I put my pebbles, charcoal, potting soil, plants and gnomes in there and voila!



I also made small terrariums for the concierge desk and gift/husky desk at the bookstore, but I quickly realized that the jars were too short, and it was hard to see the small deer and gnomes inside. I'm going to work on making new ones for them soon!

Third Thing: Deli/Sandwich Paper Poufs
I saw this on Scissor Variations a couple of weeks ago, and I knew right away that it was the answer to the problems I had been having with the Martha Stewart-suggested poufs. The deli paper can be hard to find, but when you do it's cheap (1000 sheets for $12). Use 6 sheets and a bunch of twine and you get these:

Fourth Thing: Invite Envelope Liners
Andy and I finally purchased the necessary stationary for our invites this past week, and I am so glad we did. We bought the kit to make envelope liners, and we decided (per my request) to use the same paper (purchased at the bookstore with our discounts, yeah!) that I used to line our kitchen cabinets (seen in first picture of this post). After a few hours of tracing, cutting, folding and taping, this is one of the 50 results:


Fifth Thing: Shelf Liner
Andy and I had this very utilitarian-looking (well, actually it was utilitarian) bookcase which we weren't really using in the living room. We had to move it for the new 'tabe' so we moved it to the kitchen. Before we did though, we lined the shelves with the same paper as the cabinets and the envelope liners, but in brown.


Sixth Thing: Bird Garland
Another thing I saw on Scissor Variations. It's a Martha Stewart sparrow punch, and I was happy making a garland, which is now on the 'tabe', using various papers and stickers from the bookstore, along with some baker's twine.


When Andy and I went to IKEA we found the perfect straws for the wedding:


I found a great headband at the bookstore which is somewhat like what I'm looking for for my veil:


And for the last picture of a very picture-heavy post, I wanted to share a picture of a great flower I found at QFC. They come in a wide variety of flowers, and I definitely want to incorporate them into the wedding somehow!


How is everyone else's spring break going?

No comments:

Post a Comment